Friday, September 12, 2008

I woke up this morning to complete darkness. I assumed the curtains were simply effectively shutting out the daylight, but after an hour or so of proposal typing as a favour from my Dad I started o pay attention to the sounds of the city outside. And it was raining. My favorite weather! I opened the window to listen closer, and when I looked out, I was reminded of my trip to Canada, during the autumn and spring showers and inclement winter weather. The glistening rooftops receding into the distance, reflecting the grey of the sky as a bright silver, the sound of midday traffic on the drenched pavement, the squeaks of bus brakes, the darkened tree trunks, the sirens faint in the background, the lack of footsteps or voices – it was all so familiar.

It suddenly came to my attention of an umbrella I used to carry to school, butterfly themed pastoral number, that seemed to illuminate like the sun was shining whenever I'd open it up. I almost wanted it to rain more often, so that I could walk under that umbrella every week.

From the time I was a little kid, I've liked the rain. Maybe because my awareness of sound is acute, I could listen to it all day: the way it mutes a city, the way it articulates every surface I'd otherwise take for granted. I like how rain smells and how it seems to give everything it falls on a new start. It makes the indoors cozy. The green colors outdoors become lively and beautiful. Sometimes, in the middle of a city of concrete, it is the only aural contact I have with nature – not even a chorus of singing birds could drown out human pollution so gracefully.

The poem of T.S Eliot brought forth not just a serenity, but wellness. I like the music from a farther room one, so if you wish to have it, I'll post it up on my myspace :)

Bday in 2 days time

No comments: