Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bugs

I have a sneaking suspicion that one day I will fall off of a stage. I don't know where or when or what the circumstances might be, but I find it difficult to believe that I will not without once losing my footing and plummeting into the audience. Though, I hope it never happen with my Precious in hand.

There was the time when I skated across not one but two freshly waxed landings in new heels during curtain calls in full view of a gasping heartthrobe. I have tripped on concert gowns till my knee bruises. My heels got jammed in small floor gaps as I performed. Once, blinded by a spotlight, I marched straight into a velvet drape. The floor space I'm frequently given to tread on and off-stage is no more than 12" wide, on slick surfaces with a full dress obstructing my view.

So that's pretty much what formed the one-sided fight between me and all the draped gowns. Made it through the competition which is much more of a drag to finally realised that they're all for the hunt for singers and not violinist. Fuck! At least I got a gold for my own category. Which is nothing more than a paper.


Oh well, it's much valued experience and on my rail as a violnist. ^^ (must be +ve) Thankful to have a glimpse of what a world it's like out there, not stereotyping, just what a glimpse I see. Geee hope people are nicer out there.

Pictures will be posted another

Today also brought some comedy, as Joe and I arrived at the rehearsal space for the Christmas eve performance with directions to a studio that didn't exist, with our contact person, Jonas out of the building and Mentor unreachable by cell phone, and not a single person on site aware of who we were or what we needed. After an hour of conversations in "Hindu" (what I thought I must have said XD) that ran something like this:

"Can I help you?"
"I'm here for a rehearsal."
"With the opera?"
"No, I'm Min and this is Joe my pianist and – "
"Who?"
"Im a violinist and our Mentor made arrangement for us to rehearse here today."
"I don't know who you are-"
"It's me."
"I'm sorry, I can't help you."
"I know."


After roaming about with messy directory, a man who worked there and claimed he knew us found us a solution . That solution took the form of a ballet studio in the basement, with an upright piano that probably hadn't been tuned for a couple of months. On the keyboard in plain view lay a single very short, curly dark hair. Joe squealed and ran for it! (a box of Kleenex haha) On the plus side, at least it air-conditioned heeee.


We worked in that space for approx. 3h? A full hour before our rehearsal was scheduled to end, the guard arrived to lock up. He was gracious enough to allow us to stay the full time we needed and sat listening with crossed arms for a couple of minutes. I got the distinct impression that this was not because he was enjoying it, but rather wanted us to feel the urge to leave.

No comments: