Tuesday, December 2, 2008

trips. laughs. lessons. experiences

It was that hummous sandwich.

It was the wretched hummous sandwich that did it. 1/2h after yum-gobble, i was collapsed on the airport bathroom floor, retching and heaving, wondering what i had done to so greatly offend the powers above. About an hour (and five treacherous bowls-full of bile) in, i almost passed out.
"Passenger Hermione Sng Min Yee, GA flight 115, please report to gate 10 immediately. This flight is closing in five minutes."

Oh, the drama.

A prolonged moment of self-pity - what if I should lay here, very quietly, amongst the vomit and tears, and simply wither away? Would my family sue starbucks over the out-too-long hummous? Would a bathroom attendent eventually find me, assume i was a bratty hungover kid - "girls gone wild, too many tequila shots, typical teenager" - poke at my lifeless body with a mop, then call in airport police?

I gathered my things and ran gatewards, throwing up a little in my mouth the whole way. Onto the plane, into an airsick bag, and as I was reaching for a second - the virgin mary appeared in blue and white uniform, perfect hair, mauve lipstick.

"not feeling so great, are we?"

"isn't it written all over my face?"

"water for you. and perhaps we'll move you closer to the toilets?"

"kafnahfchsfjhfnnskfnfjfs.. .. .. .. .. thanks"

They babied me, Mary and her compatriots. I would wake from fitful sleep, green and bursting, and there they were, bags in hand, making way to the bathroom, offering rolls and coca-cola and comforting murmurs. They didn't make fun of me once - though two other guys did, downing kir royales and greeting me with giggles and "don't like to fly, do ya?" every time i came banging out of the lavatory, dizzy and sniffling. meanies! screw 'em. flight attendants rule the world (up there) and they had my back. they even gave me a toothbrush, so i could scrub the icky bits away.

I made it and touched-down in one piece. one much lighter piece, one significantly sheepish and decolourised piece, but one piece nonetheless. For all the times i've traveled, i can't say i've ever before hugged the flight staff upon plane exit. I was thrilled to be alive. they seemed to think it was cute. (i hope i didn't get any puke on them.)

Matzoh ball soup.. .. .. .. taste funny.

I gotta say, this isn't my 1st flight alone to meet up with my cousins or any relatives, but it looks like it's just one of those kind of days.



I've always wanted to read the last instalment since I bought it last year, but time didn't permit it, but now..... temptations kills XD Reading while traveling, I love this bookworm way!

Got them at a local soveneir shop in Czech.

No comments: